Here we are at the dawn of a new Harry Potter crazy. No, he is not actually returning, yet, but a whole new cast of characters will continue to build upon J.K. Rowling’s wizarding universe. We decided to look back at both Harry’s vast collection of movie and book merchandise, as well as what is out there now for Newt Scamander and his crew. Now not all of the items below would be considered toys. However, we dare you not to pick up a wand, a sword, or even a Dementor and not have fun with them. After all, isn’t that what makes something a toy? The ability to have fun with it? AFJ put together a list of our favorite "Top 10 Harry Potter Toys". Please let us know yours because as we said, it is a vast empire of merchandise to sift through. #AFJ4LIFE
It seems only appropriate to give the number 10 spot on our list to Pop’s! rendition of the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Currently, there seem to be no actual action figures in the works. Which is a wise move, despite #8 and #6 making on our list, figures don’t seem to be the proper flavor for J.K. Rowling’s universe. Leave it to Funko to remember that there are fans that love figures. AFJ recommends Newt (pictured above) as well as the Target exclusive Niffler (pictured above). Check out the first wave here.
9. The Hogwarts Outfit
We are against any girl or girlfriend dressing up as our favorite heroes. Think about it, it is a little strange. That rule goes out the window if they have a female counterpart. Let your imaginations run wild with this little number. If only they had a Slytherin Outfit in the same style.
8. Dementor Action FigureMost, if not all, of the Harry Potter action figures, have the kids at a certain age. They look awkward and awful each and every time. NECA has made many of the side characters, this one really stands out. Their Dementor figure from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a perfect likeness.
7. Sword of Gryffindor
In all honesty, we never thought that there would be swords in Harry Potter. Wands yes, but swords? Whether you choose the kid-friendly one or the more realistic one, it still rocks. The more realistic one gets our vote. Yet, the SFX of the toy are tons of fun.
6. Harry Potter series 1 Lord Voldemort 7 Action Figure
The first 2 movies were cute and really for kids. When the third one arrived, we knew we were in darker territory. This figure, from 2007, is by far our favorite and truly illustrates that Mr. Potter’s nemesis is one BMF.
5. The Nimbus 2000
We love this one for two reasons. The first being it really was a great looking toy and took kids off on their Potter adventures. The second is more for its infamous standing in the personal service community.
4. Harry Potter Wizard Chess SetThere are tons of variations of the Wizard Chess Set from Harry Potter. All vary in detail and exactly how much you want to spend. As toys/ games go, it is a fine piece and practical too; unlike many of the other items listed above.
3. LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle
This 2010 release of Hogwarts comes with 9 figures and 1290 pieces. We like it because you can change it to look like it was attacked by the Death Eaters. They’ll probably never make a decimated Hogwarts LEGO set. However, with LEGO, you probably could.
Universal Studios’ The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which may need to change its name in the future with Newt Scamander and his cronies entering the fray, has an incredible collection of wands. Many of these wands are completely interactive inside the amusement park. However, since we don’t live in the park, our choice would be the Dumbledore's Army Wand Collection. Not only do you get all the wands from the DA, but a proper display. Buyer beware, it says that “This item is a fragile collectible wand set. Not intended for use as a toy.”, good luck not casting any spells with these.
1. Hogwarts Express Train SetThere are a plethora of Hogwarts Express replica trains out there. Everything from a POP! Vinyl (complete with Harry) to a Lionel Harry Potter Hogwarts Express Train Set - G-Gauge (for $350). We think this all depends upon your level of fandom or at the very least your love of trains. We here at AFJ can think of no better locomotive to have than the one from Hogwarts.